Freedom Hall Pool, 1320 Pactolas Road, will offer American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification classes for ages 15 and older on the following dates:
• January 6-8, 14-15, 27-29
• February 4-5, 17-19, 25-26
• March 10-12, 18-19
Classes will take place on Fridays 6-10 a.m., Saturdays 8 a.m.-6 p.m., and Sundays 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
A required pre-test will be offered on Saturdays in January, February and March from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Participants may register for the class upon completion of the pre-test, which includes:
1. Swim 300 yards continuously, using these strokes in the following order:
- 100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick. Rhythmic breathing can be performed either by breathing to side or to the front.
- 100 yards of breaststroke.
- 100 yards of either front crawl using rhythmic breathing or breaststroke.
2. Swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet and retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, and swim 20 yards back to the starting point. When returning to the starting point with the object, exit the water without using the ladder of steps, within one minute, 40 seconds.
3. Tread water, without use of hands, for two minutes.
Class fee is $200 per person, which includes book, face mask, and all certifications. Upon completion of the course, the participant will be certified in lifeguarding, first aid, CPR Pro and AED essentials for the professional rescuer. Certification is valid for two years after completion.
For more information and to sign up for the class, please call (423) 461-4872 or (423) 434-5754.