If you’re feeling pretty depressed about the way 2016 went out, then here are a few things that may just cheer you up.
2016 has been a pretty terrible year, with the deaths of much-loved icons including David Bowie, Prince, George Michael, Carrie Fisher adding to blue mood.
It has been dubbed “officially the worst year in the history of the universe” on social media, with others adding that “2016 can end any time now.” It sorta starting making me sad until I ran across a tumblr user (helthehatter) who compiled a list of Good Things that happened in 2016 and it made me smile and think back on the year. Not everything was bad.
See, good things did happen –
Good Things that Happened in 2016
- New chemotherapy breakthroughs have increased the 5-year survival for pancreatic cancer from 16% to 27% (and is getting better)
- Scientists figured out how to link robotic limbs with the part of the brain that deals with intent to move so people don’t have to think about how they will move the limb, it can just happen.
- Child mortality is down everywhere and it keeps going down.
- Thanks to the ice bucket challenge the gene responsible for ALS has been found, meaning we are closer to an effective treatment. Let me rephrase that: we are close to getting a treatment for a very bad disease because a lot of people (including really hot celebrities) got wet.
- A solar powered plan circumnavigated the world.
- Michael Jordan donates 2mil to try and help bridge connection between police and the community.
- Tiger numbers are growing.
- And manatees.
- And pandas.
- Pokemon Go players went insane with placing lure modules near hospitals for sick kids.
- California is now powering over 6 million homes with solar power, a record in the US.
- Volunteers in India planted 50 million trees in 24 hours.
- Apparently world crime as a whole has drastically declined in the last couple of decades.
- Coffee consumption has been proved to help curtail cancer and suicide rates.
- Speaking of coffee, Starbucks figured out how to donate perishable food in a food safe way.
- 500 elephants were relocated to a better, safer and bigger home.
- We made massive strides in Alzheimers’ prevention.
- The ozone layer is repairing itself and all the work we did to get rid of those aerosol chemicals was actually worth it.
- The Anglican church resolved to solemnize same-sex unions the same as opposite-sex unions which required a super majority of all three orders of the church (lay, clergy, bishop).
- Precision treatments for cancer are hitting clinical trials and WORKING.
- Dentists are once again providing free care to veterans who need it.
- The murder weapon was found in the OJ Simpson trial.
- Death by heart disease has decreased by 70% in the United States.
- Two brothers saw color for the first time thanks to specially-designed glasses.
- Portugal ran its entire nation solely on renewable energy for four days straight.
- A retiree is launching a project to transport 80 endangered rhinos to an Australian reservation to save the animals from poaching.
- An Afghan teacher has been delivering books via bicycle to villages that lack schools
- 200 strangers attended the funeral of a homeless WW2 veteran with no family.
- A teen battling cancer married his sweetheart.
- Bank firm pays for college tuition for the children of employees who died in the 9/11 attacks.
- New medicine has been shown to increase melanoma survival rate to 40%
- Volunteers made special tiny Halloween costumes for NICU babies
- A 4-year old befriends a lonely man and helped him heal after losing his wife
- Families grew
- People survived cancer
- People overcame depression
- Any kind of victory, even if it affects only one person, is a victory
- Now for the pop culture good news
- LEONARDO DICAPRIO WON AN OSCAR! EVERYONE READING THIS LIVED LONG ENOUGH TO SEE LEO FINALLY GET WHAT HE DESERVED
- There’s a new Harry Potter book
- And a movie
- Harry Potter has no plans on vanishing with time
- This sweet father gave candy to passengers on a flight so his little girl could trick or treat on Halloween
Good things that have nothing to do with the year but will hopefully make you feel better
- The Loafer