William King Museum of Art is pleased to announce the opening reception of Home: One Family, 200 Years of History on March 2, 2017 from 6 – 8 p.m.
In 1859, David Droke built a farmhouse in Piney Flats, Tennessee, as part of his carpentry apprenticeship. From that time onward, the house and its history have been passed down from generation to generation of Droke children who have lived in the house, worked the land, and remembered and added to the story of their family. is exhibit traces the last two hundred years of Appalachia and America through the story of one family—from the Civil War to the Great Depression and beyond. is house is our history— it’s American history, regional history, and family history but it’s more than that. It’s home.
The exhibit opens on March 2 and runs through July 10. Admission is free and the Museum is open to the public.
William King Museum of Art is located at 415 Academy Drive, off West Main Street or Russell Road, in Abingdon. The Museum features five exhibition galleries, artist studios and outdoor sculpture garden. Educational programs in the visual arts are offered year-round for both children and adults, and school audiences are served by in-house and outreach programs. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, the William King Museum of Art is a partner of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, a member of the Virginia Association of Museums and is funded in part by the Virginia Commission for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Arts.
For more information on Home: One Family, 200 Years of History, visit www.williamkingmuseum.org or call 276-628- 5005.