The 22nd Annual Garden Gala, a full day of gardens and vendors, is planned for guests in Tennessee’s Oldest Town on Saturday, June 2nd. The annual Garden Gala is considered the official welcoming of spring in Northeast Tennessee. It has been recognized nationally as an award-winning event. This charity event is hosted by the Schubert Club and the Tuesday Garden Club and supported by the Northeast Tennessee Master Gardeners and the Southern Appalachian Plant Society.
There will be 10 gardens on the self-guided tour with a vintage car parked at each location in celebration of “A Century of Gardens and Cars”. This yearly event is open from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. so be sure to get there early. Bus transportation provided throughout the Garden Gala event 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The focus this year will be on limited space gardens and how to enhance those small areas. Certified Master Gardeners will be in the gardens to answer your question and offer advice. The Garden Gala Market Place will be in front of the Courthouse and International Storytelling Center Courtyard with art, plants, and creations for the garden.
Kids and adults will both love the Vegetable Garden stop on the tour, a garden started by a boy and his father. And you won’t want to miss the Southern style tea in the shade of ancient trees. Tea will be served from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in a private historic Jonesborough garden. Renowned cellist Cherylonda Fitzgerald, with the Johnson City Symphony, will be performing at the tea.
The event will be held on Saturday, June 2nd with registration beginning at 9:00 a.m., and Gardens opening at 10:00 a.m. Advance tickets for the Garden Gala are $14 or purchase the day of at the Visitors Center for $16.00. Tickets may be purchased online at jonesborough.com/tickets or by calling the Jonesborough Visitors Center at 423-753-1010.
There is always something happening in Jonesborough so be sure to:
• Enjoy a wonderful breakfast served at the Jonesborough Presbyterian Church (128 W. Main Street) starting at 8:00 a.m.
• Shop at the Farmer’s Market from 8:00 a.m. until Noon with music and coffee being served.
• Garden Gala Lunch Specials are offered at Jonesborough’s restaurants.
• Wear your Garden Gala “Swatch” to receive discounts at the local participating shops.
• The Storyteller in Residence at the Storytelling Center is Peter Cook starting at 2:00 pm. Separate ticket needed.
• The Jonesborough Repertory Theater will have a performance of “Welcome to Mitford” starting at 7:30 p.m. Separate ticket needed so be sure to buy tickets early.
• Main Street Café will be serving dinner every Friday and Saturday night.
• And spend the night at one of Jonesborough’s wonderful Bed & Breakfasts.