We’re all familiar with spring cleaning, but what about giving the house a good cleaning before we close everything up for the winter? Fall is the perfect time to open up the windows and let some fresh air in.
But why would I be talking about cleansing your environment as a health coach? Because your mindset, especially during the winter months, is crucial to staying physically healthy during this time. We’re at home more often and its easy to avoid the gym and hole up at the house when its cold outside. By keeping your home clean and your mindset clear, you are more likely to keep making good choices when it comes to food and moving your body. So before it gets too cold consider these cleansing tips to give your environment a good fall cleaning!
- Add a few extra plants to your spaces. Air purifying plants can remove toxins in the air year-round. Just be careful because many of them are poisonous to pets. Here are a few common but safe to have around your pets: money plant, spider plant, bamboo palm, and a boston fern.
- Clean in the uncommon places like window sills, under furniture that you rarely move, wipe down baseboards. Think spring cleaning but for the fall. Remember to use essential oils to clean instead of harsh chemicals. This will help detox the air instead of adding toxins.
- Use an air purifier with essential oils. Rotate between your pumpkin candles and essentials oils. Candles smell great but they’re not necessarily cleaning the air.
- Give your car a good cleaning inside and out. Its easy to run through a car wash in the winter but its not so easy to vacuum and wipe down the inside of your car when its cold outside. Give it a good cleaning before it gets too cold.
- Replace pillows. Pillows that you sleep on and that you use on your couch can collect a lot of dust. Consider replacing pillows in the fall. Give your living room a fresh look with new pillows or replace them with some seasonal throw pillows.
- Have your carpets cleaned or give your wood floors some extra attention. The kids and dogs come in and out much more frequently in the summer months so why not give your floors a deep cleaning to get that dust and dirt out of the house.
- Clean out your fireplace. Get it ready to use before you actually need it. In Tennessee, the weather is so unpredictable that it can drop 20 degrees from one day to the next. Having your fireplace ready to go before its actually needed will save you time and energy.
- Reduce the clutter in your home. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, clutter causes stress. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather not be hauling bags or boxes to charity when its snowing outside, let alone having a garage sale. So get the extra stuff out of the house in the fall instead having to stare at it all winter.
- On that same note, instead of just switching out summer and winter clothes, take inventory of what you haven’t worn in years and get it out of your closet instead of packing it away again.
- Last but not least, clean and replace filters! I’m talking all filters, from your refrigerator water filter to your air filter. Hopefully, you’re doing this throughout the year, but we get busy and start neglecting things like changing a filter that can make a huge difference in how we feel on a daily basis. So take the time this fall to replace those filters.
Just taking these simple steps can change the way you feel during the winter months. Something else you might want to think about is getting your indoor gym equipment out and ready to use. So when its too cold to get to the gym, you will have no excuse to take a few minutes and move your body!
To Your Health, Coach Leslie J.